Skip to main content

The future depends on what you do today

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” 
― 
Eleanor Roosevelt





March 5, 2025

   I could do this again and again every night, thinking and sitting down on the fluffy carpet in my room. I am lost in thought, trying to figure out what job I want to look for. I don’t know if my major even interests me enough to pursue a career in it. But I’m almost done with college graduation, and I don’t know what I want to do afterwards. What I really want right now is to run away. Run away from the decisions I have to make, and the responsibilities that are being thrust upon me.

   I’m staring at my computer screen…. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my window turn slightly orange with a hint of pink from the rising sun. I closed my laptop, and decided to sleep for a few hours before getting up at a decent time. The inevitable happened when I finally woke up; my parents lectured me about finding a job directly after I graduate my master of laws degree. I hate the fact that my own parents think that I’m lazy. My phone buzzed, I picked it up and see a message from my boyfriend saying he will pick me up soon for a dinner date at a restaurant .I smiled thinking after all these failures I make there is still someone who loves me no matter what.

  I was spiraling down in a bad way. I started leaving the house more and just roaming around outside like galas with my friends and also drinking too much. I knew I was never going to be good enough, or smart enough to find something that makes me happy. My dad once said to me while I was I high school, he said that “No matter what you do for a living… the best possible choice you can make is to do something that you love and earn from it…. ”. Suddenly, the future isn’t so dark and foreboding. I smiled as I thought of all the potential I still had to offer the world.

September 23, 2033

  I slowly flutter my eyes open and see the man I had met  15 years ago during high school  still  sound asleep beside me. I thought for a second how lucky I really am to be with the person I truly love for the rest of my life... the person I had never expected to end up with. I had love him when I was young and I had ever stopped loving him ever since.  I head out to the kitchen, staring at the most beautiful sunrise and feeling the salty breeze of the sea. I remember to be dreaming of this when I was young ha! Guess I finally got what I wanted. As  I cook breakfast…. I feel something hugging my legs I look down to see an awfully cute creature saying “MOMMY! I EAT BACON TODAYYYYYY?” Nodding as I look down to see Reece, my 5 year old son. I hear a loud thud and a voice “NOOO I WANT CHICKEN NUGGETSSS!” I turn around to see Nikka, Reece’s twin sister with a very messy hair and she is rubbing her elbow. I guessed she fell of the bed again haha she reminds me when I was a kid.

     I walk into my room to get ready for work… lucky me, I get to have a  Law office down stairs.I am now a professional Lawyer Atty. Kaela Edna Lambert. I get to have advantages in my work because my uncle is also a lawyer. He calls me whenever there are hearings and when he needs some help.  It is already 10 am and my hubby is not awake yet. I hate it when he wakes up late because I get to do all the work in the kitchen. I sit beside him and whisper in his ear “Babe, wake up. You need to go to work early today because of that event you organized at the restaurant” I said and I kissed his cheek. I really don’t know what he is up to lately, he seems so distant and I don’t know why maybe he is just really busy.

   After the last client in my office was gone I dismissed all my employees. I turned off the lights and grab the keys to lock the front door. My phone buzzed, It’s a call from my husband saying that the restaurant got burned down by accident .I immediately grabbed my car keys and drove as fast as I can. When I reached my destination…. Something seemed off but I see no flames and smoke or anything fire related. I walk through the door and noticed that it’s so quiet and dark. What happened here? I was about to call my husband when I hear a lot of people screaming “SUPRISEEEE!”.  I forgot that today is actually my birthday oh my god how could I forget? I spotted my parents carrying the twins each in their arms.

  After eating a slice of cake and a glass of Martini, everyone started to murmur about me giving a speech before everyone goes home. So I had to agree…

   I clicked my wine glass with my fork and begun “Settle down. Let me talk, I'll get more and more emotional. First of all I would like to thank you all for assembling here and being a part of my celebration specially to everyone that got involved and helped my husband plan this fascinating plan of his *everyone laughs and I looked at him* Thank you so much for always supporting me Babe and for making all of this happen. After you have entered in my life, all my problems and difficulties seems to have been disappeared. Our children are also proud to have you as their father. You are simply amazing!  I am the most luckiest person in the whole world, because I have a loving and caring husband like you. You are the best and I love you.

I would like to utilize this opportunity to thank the people who have been the pillars of my success. Most of you, including my colleagues, relatives and friends have seen only the successful part of mine, but my parents are the only people who have worked day in and day out to prepare me for the challenges in life. I remember that when I was young and wild, I would never have expected that I would end up like this. I am forever grateful for those people who stood up for me when I could not even help myself.

  Special thanks to my parents for being the best parents a daughter could ever have, for helping me choose the right path to take for a happy life and that led me here. I would specifically like to thank my father for making me realize what I was and am capable of, for giving me the strength that I required to pursue my dreams and for believing that I have the necessary skills and capability to accomplish my goals. My father always said that our house was incomplete without the contribution of my mother hahaha. I can never thank her enough for making me what I am today.  You have always been so dedicated and supportive in all stages of my life. I can’t thank you both enough for everything you have done for me. Without you both, I stand nowhere*I smiled at them*Thanks ma and pa I love you both!”

This is what I imagine myself 15 years from now, I could not wait to actually make this happen for real.How about you? J

    

Comments